At Lansdowne Dental Arts, Dr. Jun H. Chung and our team are pleased to offer gum disease treatment for our patients who have gum disease in Leesburg, Virginia. This is important, because if gingivitis–the mildest form of gum disease is left untreated–it can progress into periodontitis. While improved oral hygiene can restore gum health when it is in the mild stage, once it advances it is much more difficult to resolve.
Once plaque is allowed to spread below the gum line, the bacteria in plaque causes toxins to release which irritate your gums. These toxins cause the body to respond to constant inflammation as the tissue in the mouth and the bones supporting your teeth break down. As the gums pull back from the teeth, spaces (pockets) form between your teeth and the gums and become infected. With time, these pockets become deeper as gum tissue and bone is destroyed.
There are various treatment options for periodontitis:
– Scaling and root planing: a deep cleaning of the root surfaces, sometimes followed up with antibiotics.
– Gum graft surgery: where exposed tooth roots are covered with gum tissue to prevent continued recession and bone loss.
– Bone grafts: reverse some of the damage from lost bone and tissue.
– Dental crown lengthening: adjusts the gum and bone levels to expose more of the natural tooth.
– Dental implants: replaces a lost tooth or teeth by placing an artificial tooth root into your jaw via a tooth or bridge.
– Pocket reduction: a procedure done to the pockets, by folding back the gum tissue, removing the bacteria, and securing the tissue.
To ensure your oral health, it is important to develop healthy habits and see Dr. Jun H. Chung and our Lansdowne Dental Arts team regularly. Whether gum disease is caused by diabetes, genetics, stress, poor diet, or hormonal fluctuations, the key is intervention and early treatment. Together we will keep your mouth healthy for a lifetime of smiles! You can reach us today at 703-858-5990 in Leesburg, Virginia.